Tuesday, April 23, 2013

carpentry nerd...

Ok well I don't know if there is such a thing as being a carpentry nerd, but I am one.

Soooo excited. Got a lead on a side job from a family friend. Redecking an outside patio. Pretty simple really. Gotta tear the old deckboards off and put on new ones. Minimal cutting, Minimal everything. I already have a really nice circular saw that my dad got me for christmas. Craftsman 15 amp worm drive saw. It's pretty sweet. :) but in order to screw down the deckboards, I need a drill.

Now I didn't really want to be dragging extension cords all over the deck while I'm trying to do this so I definitely wanted to get a cordless one. I looked online at Ace Hardware and Home Depot and was finding the exact ones that I would like to have, but they were upwards of $250 for one drill, one battery, and a charger. So what do I do? Craigslist.

I found one guy who was selling a single Ryobi drill with 2 batteries and 1 charger brand new in the box. Not necessarily the best drill. Brand new it's about $80 but he was asking $50 so I sent him an e-mail. Not ten minutes after I set up the meet with this guy, I get another phone call from a different ad I replied to.
This guy has 3 drills, 7 batteries, 3 chargers, and 2 cases as well as extension cords and anything else I might need. He's ready to meet whenever and he's only askin $75 for all of it.

Well, we meet up with this guy and start talkin a little bit. He's a Union Sheetmetal Worker. Currently laid off, hard times in our area. He's cleaning out his garage of shit he hasn't looked at since '98 when he moved in and decided "eh, I'll try and sell it on Craigslist." Long story short, we spent probably an hour just talkin and bullshitting with the guy and walked out with all 3 drills, all 7 batteries, all 3 chargers, both cases, and 2 extension cords for $80. Two of the drills are Dewalt Impact 18v cordless drills and the other is a standard 18v cordless drill. Mind you, just one of the impact drills with 2 batteries, a charger, and a case is over $100 at Home Depot. This is the deal of the century! and now this guys wife can let him out of the doghouse because she can park in the garage again lol

Well, that's all for now folks. Sorry for the kinda personal post that doesn't glean any usable information. Just got a little excited lol

2 comments:

  1. You are way too excited about those drills dear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, maybe a little. but hey, I'm a carpentry nerd! lol can't wait to use those bad boys...

      Delete